Wednesday, December 2, 2009

waiting and seeking.

Alright, here's the icebreaker of the day.

Regardless of your gender, which role in a live nativity scene do you think you're best cut out for, and why?

I would want to be a shepherd, because I would like having the angels sing for me.

People who wait have received a promise that allows them to wait. They have received something that is at work in them, like a seed that has started to grow. This is very important. We can only really wait if what we are waiting for has already begun for us…. That’s the secret. The secret of waiting is the faith that the seed has been planted, that something has begun. Active waiting means to be present fully to the moment, in the conviction that something is happening where you are and that you want to be present to it. A waiting person is someone who is present to the moment, who believes that this moment is the moment.

How do we wait? We wait together, as did Mary and Elizabeth. Elizabeth and Mary came together and enabled each other to wait. Mary’s visit made Elizabeth aware of what she was waiting for. The child leapt for joy in her. Mary affirmed Elizabeth’s waiting. And then Elizabeth said to Mary, “Blessed is she who believed that the promise made her by the Lord would be fulfilled.” And Mary responded, “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord” (Luke 1:45-46). She burst into joy herself. These two women created space for each other to wait.

Watch for the Light by Henri Nouwen

The season of Advent is our space to focus on waiting for the Messiah. We have faith in what we are waiting for because Jesus has already fulfilled the promise of a Messiah by coming into the world. Now, as we wait, we must also seek the face of God as we await his return. As we seek him and learn of him, we can wait in hopeful expectation for his second coming.

Establishing a pattern to our seeking is rather like cutting paths through the underbrush on our way through the forest to the river. We can fight our way through the underbrush to arrive infrequently at the river, or we can cut paths which lead us with relative ease to the river for refreshment, cleansing, and recreation.

Why Not Celebrate by Sara Wenger

10 comments:

  1. I would want to be one of the three magi, I imagine they had pretty exiting lives and maybe they owned telescopes and looked at the skies all night(and at their neighbors in the daytime, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be a sheep because I know how to say "baaa baaa"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be baby Jesus because I'm perfect. And I'm a baby. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. i also want to be one of the wiseman... i think it'd be pretty amazing to follow a star based on faith and have it lead you to the messiah. i always wondered how they knew to follow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much to respond to... Guess I'm cut out to be Joseph, caring for the mother and child, and maybe the sheep too. Powerful video - King's College chapel? And thought-provoking exhortations. I'm staying tuned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, I in no way want to say that I am as powerful as it, but if i could be anything... I'd want to be the star, shedding the light for everyone to see. Plus, I've always wanted to fly and live in the sky. -Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alison-in Boston and friend Katie in Florida

    We would like to be shepherds too- because to so many people, shepherds were seen as dirty, unimportant people- but God chose them to be the first to hear about the birth of Jesus. And it must have been a sight to see the entire sky full of angels singing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd like to be an angel...because I like to sing!

    A poem for you by Grace Noll Crowell--

    LEISURE
    I shall attend to my little errands of love
    Early, this year,
    That the brief days before Christmas may be
    Unhampered and clear
    Of the fever of hurry. The breathless rushing that I
    Have known in the past
    Shall not possess me; I shall be calm in my soul
    For Christmas.

    I shall have leisure--I shall go out alone
    From my roof and my door;
    I shall not miss the silver silence of stars
    As I have before,
    And oh, perhaps, if I stand there very still,
    and very long,
    I shall hear what the clamor of living has kept from me:
    The angels' song!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to be Mary. "Dude, I gave birth to God."

    No one said Mary though, seriously.

    Also, Sarah Beth, I'm sensing a pattern do you like people to sing for you?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd be the doves in the rafters high who cooed him to sleep. Don't worry, if I were a dove, I would be able to sing in tune, and freely, and joyfully. Wouldn't that be a wonderful gift to give other people? Plus, there were two of them, so they could wait together, in the moment.

    ReplyDelete