Thursday, December 24, 2009

christmas eve gift.

Merry Christmas Eve! On Christmas Eve in the Bennett family, we all try to be the first person to say Christmas Eve Gift. If you get someone, then supposedly they have to give you a present. So, Christmas Eve gift!

If, like Santa, you could take a night flight in a sleigh over any city in the world, which city would you choose?

I think I would have to choose Paris.

I know I have shared a lot of favorite things this month, but Cosmic Christmas (also known as An Angel’s Story) by Max Lucado is possibly my most favorite Christmas book. It tells the story of the birth of Jesus through the eyes of the angel Gabriel. I won’t tell you the whole story, but Gabriel fights to protect Mary and Joseph through her pregnancy and their journey to Bethlehem. Towards the end of the story, Jesus is finally born, and I want to share this passage with you.

We were a wreath of Light around the stable, a necklace of diamonds around the structure. Every angel had been called from his post for the coming, even Michael. None doubted God would, but none knew how He could, fulfill His promise….

Within moments the Awaited One was born. I was privileged to have a position close to the couple, only a step behind Michael. We both gazed into the wrinkled face of the infant. Joseph had placed hay in a feed trough, giving Jesus his first bed. All of God was in the infant. Light encircled His face and radiated from His tiny hands. The very glory I had witnessed in His throne room now burst through His skin.

I felt we should sing but did not know what. We had no song. We had no verse. We had never seen the sight of God in a baby. When God had made a star, our words had roared. When He had delivered His servants, our tongues had flown with praise. Before His throne, our songs never ended. But what do you sing to God in a feed trough?

…Sophio was whispering. I drew near to hear his words:

‘A child has been given to us; God has given a Son to us. He will be responsible for leading the people. His name will be: Wonderful Counselor, Powerful God, Father who lives forever, Prince of Peace. He will be wounded for the wrong they did, crushed for the evil they did. The punishment which will make them well will be given to Him. They will be healed because of His wounds.’

…So this is He. Immanuel. This is God’s gift. A Savior. He shall save His people from their sins. ‘Worthy is the Lamb,’ I whispered as I knelt before my God. My heart was full. I turned to Mary as she cradled her child and I spoke. It didn’t matter that she couldn’t hear me. The stars could. All of nature could. And most of all, my King could.

‘Do you know who you hold, Mary? You secure the Author of grace. He who is ageless is now moments old. He who is limitless is now suckling your milk. He who strides upon the stars, now has legs too weak to walk; the hands which held the oceans are now an infant’s fist. To Him who has never asked a question, you will teach the name of the wind. The Source of language will learn words from you. He who has never stumbled, you will carry. He who has never hungered, you will feed. The King of creation is in your arms.’

‘What manner of love is this?’ Michael whispered, and again we were covered with silence. A blanket of awe. Finally, Michael again opened his mouth, this time to sing. He began quietly, pausing between the words.

‘Glory, glory, glory to God in the highest.’

…Our praise rose into the realms of the universe. In the most distant galaxy the dust on the oldest star danced with our praise. In the depths of the ocean, the water rippled with adoration. The tiniest microbe turned, the mightiest constellation spun, all of nature joined with us as we worshiped Immanuel, the God who had become flesh.

4 comments:

  1. Since you've got Paris, I'll take Rome - probably a sight. However, Salzburg might be a good choice too. Notice that I never stop with one choice.

    Great reading from Cosmic Christmas, and one of my favorite songs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd choose Nashville, to save on airfare. My second choice would be Machu Picchu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to fly over Dubai, and see the palm tree islands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm my favorite Christmas book!

    I'll take London, thanks.

    ReplyDelete