Thursday, December 3, 2009

comfort ye.

The icebreaker of the day:

What particular holiday food do you enjoy most?

I have to say date-nut role.

One of my favorite Christmas traditions is listening to Handel’s Messiah. Handel began writing his masterpiece on August 22, 1741 (a day that became my parents’ anniversary a couple hundred years later). Within twenty-four days, he had completed all fifty sections that are included in the oratorio. All of his spirituality and musical talents culminated in the work that he produced in these few weeks. He later wrote, “I did think I did see all heaven before me, and the good God himself.” The oratorio premiered in Dublin to immediate success. At the London premiere on March 23, 1743 (Mary Love’s and my birthday!), King George II began the tradition of rising to one’s feet during the “Hallelujah” chorus. The American premiere of the entire work didn’t occur until 1818 in Boston’s Boylston Hall. Handel’s religious fervor and sincere faith in God shines through his work. Messiah presents the fulfillment of Redemption by the Redeemer by bringing together the prophecies of the Messiah and the story of his birth, death, and resurrection.

I think the opening words of the work are particularly appropriate to consider in relation to the “coming” that is celebrated by Advent, especially because they are spoken by an Old Testament prophet who was looking forward to the coming of the Messiah.

Comfort ye, comfort ye my people, saith your God. Speak ye comfortably to Jerusalem, and cry unto her, that her warfare is accomplished, that her iniquity is pardoned.

These words are taken directly from Isaiah 40:1-2. The coming of Christ, the Messiah, produces this comfort of which Isaiah speaks. By coming into the world of men, Jesus created a way to accomplish his people’s warfare and pardon their iniquities. By taking on the form of a man, Jesus created the way to redeem us.

6 comments:

  1. I enjoy the ham. Sometimes too much. Ham and pineapples, yum.

    The old testament is the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Potato-Pear Soup...for supper, breakfast, and lunch!

    I am eternally grateful that Handel wrote this wonderful oratorio in ENGLISH! How rich we English speakers are! What if he had written it in German as Bach did his Christmas oratorio?!? This piece of music only grows more wondrous as the years pass!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spice Tea is a favorite. Wow Sarah Beth, your family really has the Handel connection! His story is such an inspiration to me.

    This is a wonderful fantabulous blog! Thanks for doing it! I'll be following along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm I must say that I'm looking forward to coffee cake on Christmas morning.... But date-nut roll and sweet potato pear soup both sound good too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like rolls. No, not the date-nut type. The whole-wheat yeast type. I like the smell, the texture, and the taste. I like how they look. I even like the sound. For me, it's a holiday thing, because that's usually when I'm in town and because I said so. It's a comfort, a reminder that my iniquity is pardoned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, one other important historical event for the Messiah: On August 19, 2006, Miranda and I had the Hallelujah Chorus at our wedding. Even though they were Lutherans, they stood just like King George II.

    ReplyDelete