Saturday, December 12, 2009

redeeming all brokenness.

If you were to open up a cozy, little Christmas shop, what Christmas product would be your main draw?

I would want to sell lots of different Nativity sets.

As we move into Advent we are called to listen, something we seldom take time to do in this frenetic world of over-activity. But waiting for birth, waiting for death – these are listening times, when the normal distractions of life have lost their power to take us away from God’s call to center in Christ.

During Advent we are traditionally called to contemplate death, judgment, hell and heaven. To give birth to a baby is also a kind of death – death to the incredible intimacy of carrying a child, death to old ways of life and birth into new – and it is as strange for the parents as for the baby. Judgment: John of the Cross says that in the evening of life we shall be judged on love; not on our accomplishments, not on our successes and failures in the worldly sense, but solely on love.

Once again, as happened during the past nearly two thousand years, predictions are being made of the time of this Second Coming, which, Jesus emphasized, “even the angels in heaven do not know.” But we human creatures, who are “a little lower than the angels,” too frequently try to set ourselves above them with our predictions and our arrogant assumption of knowledge which God hid even from the angels. Advent is not a time to declare, but to listen, to listen to whatever God may want to tell us through the singing of the stars, the quickening of a baby, the gallantry of a dying man.

Listen. Quietly. Humbly. Without arrogance.

In the first verse of Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring, we sing, “Word of God, our flesh that fashioned with the fire of life impassioned,” and the marvelous mystery of incarnation shines. “Because in the mystery of the Word made flesh,” goes one of my favorite propers, for it is indeed the mystery by which we live, give birth, watch death.

When the Second Person of the Trinity entered the virgin’s womb and prepared to be born as a human baby (a particular baby, Jesus of Nazareth), his death was inevitable.

It is only after we have been enabled to say, “Be it unto me according to your Word,” that we can accept the paradoxes of Christianity. Christ comes to live with us, bringing an incredible promise of God’s love, but never are we promised that there will be no pain, no suffering, no death, but rather that these very griefs are the road to love and eternal life.

In Advent we prepare for the coming of all Love, that love which will redeem all the brokenness, wrongness, and hardnesses of heart which have afflicted us.’

Miracle on 10th Street: And Other Christmas Writings by Madeleine L’Engle

6 comments:

  1. The Provencals would call your store's figurines Santones, and take great pride in their craftmanship.

    My Christmas store would have all those wonderful cookies baking that everyone keeps talking about, and rolls for Micah & Patrick. Is there a theme here?

    I like the admonition to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My shop would carry all manner of things to help families, college students, young adults, newlyweds, and retirees CELEBRATE Advent!...candles, beautiful Advent calendars, nativity sets, books, music....
    I love the quote from Madeleine L'Engle. How well she states my prayer from Romans 12:1-2."Be it unto me according to your Word" is a beautiful picture of a "living sacrifice"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my shop would be pretty rustic. It would mostly sell Wassail (the rich buttered kind) and Egg Nog and maybe a few Christmas spirits and coffees. There would always be a fire going and comfortable chairs. Oh yeah, it would be located on top of Mt. Leconte.

    These Christmas writings from Madeleine L’Engle are really nice. She seems to surround herself with such a rich context. John of the Cross puts it so well to say that we will be judge solely on love. I like the image about the birth of the baby. Patrick does seem to think that we are pretty strange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My shop would provide Christmas decorations.... But these wouldn't be just any kind of Christmas decorations - old-fashioned lights (you know, the big kind), advent rings, Madame Alexander Angel tree-toppers...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah Beth! I am a friend of your mom's from Belmont. She taught me about Advent last year and we are thrilled to celebrate it with our daughter, Bella. It has really changed the Christmas season for me -- it is now my favorite time of year!

    And since I am enamored with all things Advent, I just LOVE reading your blog every day. I tell your mom every time I see her, and I thought I would let you know also!

    As for the Christmas shop -- I'm with you: I would sell all kinds of Nativity sets. I got my first one last year, and since then I have collected 5 more. I can only imagine how many lovely ones I could find if I had a shop of my own. =)

    Julie Higginbotham

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like it when churches and other organizations host "alternative gift markets," where people can learn about and make donations to various charities, so my Christmas shop would be something like that, but set up in a mall. I would like to give people different opportunities for Christmas giving when they're in the middle of their holiday shopping. (And I want it to be located next to that cookie shop!)

    ReplyDelete