Sunday, December 6, 2009

the spirit of giving.

If you had written the story, what type of animal would be pulling Santa’s sleigh?

I think cheetahs would be good since they’re so fast.

Today I want to talk about St. Nicholas. He isn’t really an integral part of Advent, but I think his story is very encouraging. We are reminded of the true spirit in which we should give gifts when we remember his generosity.

Dear Grown-up:

Nicholas is a real historical figure who lived in the fourth century. He was Bishop of Myra, a city in Lycia, Asia Minor (What is modern-day Turkey). The region is situated on the Mediterranean Sea across from Greece.

The people of Myra had already heard the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus Christ before Nicholas came to serve them. The Apostle Paul had traveled there on his mission journey. This visit is recorded in Acts 27:5-6. As a Christian, Nicholas suffered persecution under the Roman Emperor Diocletian and was imprisoned until Constantine came into power and showed tolerance to Christians.

Tales of Nicholas’s generosity were widespread, and he became patron saint of Russia. In Europe, he was known as Father Christmas, and in America, Santa Claus. Legends about his home at the North Pole, flying reindeer, and distributing gifts all over the world on Christmas Eve were created to enhance his story, but his generosity is based in historical fact. The story of his supplying the dowries for the three girls is believed to be factual.

Nicholas’s feast day (the day he died) is December 6th. Many families observe St. Nicholas Day by having the children in the home place their shoes by the door when they go to bed the night before. When they awaken on the morning of December 6, their shoes are filled with bags of gold foil-wrapped chocolate coins that were secretly placed there during the night.

The significance of Nicholas for us today is that his response to God’s great love for us in Jesus was to care for other people. His kindness and care for children are modeled every time we give a gift out of love.

Saint Nicholas: The Real Story of the Christmas Legend by Julie Stiegemeyer

When Mary Love and Grace and I were little, we would set out our shoes and get gold coins in the morning.

As you give and receive gifts during this season, remember the generosity and godliness of the real St. Nicholas.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for doing this. It has become a very meaningful part of my every day as I celebrate the Advent season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm I miss those chocolate coins.... I would have gazelles pull the sleigh. They're just like upgraded reindeer - smaller, prettier, faster....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Aunt Ruth--your blog has become my grown-up advent calendar. I can't wait to see what you post each day! Perhaps I'll get up earlier and earlier, like some children I know used to do, just to see what's in my advent calendar blog!
    As for pulling the sleigh, I'll stick with reindeer in honor of all our four-footed white-tails who run, dash, and leap with such joyful abandon in the neighborhood. (They ARE pretty, even if they DO mow down the flowers!)

    Remember when the Delozier family used to leave goodies, ring the doorbell, and then run and hide?--a St. Nicholas Day event!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog. Wow, I never knew about the gold coins thing. I think sled dogs would be good animals cause they're wintery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For my sleigh, nothing but magical rhinos will go. They're so strong, but they're so magical, and therefore weigh almost nothing.

    Jesus gave his whole life for us. St. Nicholas followed his example. We are to as well.

    I'm very excited to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have Corgis pulling the sleigh. We've got like 18 Corgi ornaments and no Christmas songs to go with them. We've even got a Corgi with angel wings. Maybe, if Corgis pulled the sleigh, we would have some more songs to use (e.g. "Rudolph the red-nosed Corgi").

    I know what you’re thinking, but you don't need to run very fast when you can FLY. Besides, they are a better match for Santa's personality (not to mention that they are short and jolly, and have some definite affinities with a bowl full of jelly). They could even come down the chimney and help Santa with the milk and cookies. It would really liven up the "Night Before Christmas", particularly in Patrick’s book.

    By the way, I never got any gold or chocolate coins when I was growing up. Maybe Nicholas was still imprisoned way back then. No, that must not be the case, because I remember Santa coming and setting up whole Lego sets for me down in the basement on Windemere Circle. I don't think anyone ever got better gifts. St. Nicholas was definitely honored in generosity and godliness, even then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Further to Micah's comment: corgis have traditionally been associated with fairies, and some have markings called "fairy saddles" from the harnesses they wore to pull the fairies around. So they're already well trained for sleigh-pulling!

    ReplyDelete