Wednesday, December 9, 2009

what can we give him?

If you were creating the ultimate gingerbread house, what unique features would it have?

My gingerbread house would have an eggnog moat with a peppermint bark bridge.

What mattered to Jesus was what went on in our hearts. What mattered was that we be right with God. What mattered was forgiveness, God’s loving forgiveness of us, and our forgiveness for each other. Jesus was not attracted by people who were more worried about other people’s sins (the mote in the eye, that stone in the hand) than their own love of God.

Bright Evening Star by Madeleine L’Engle

What a relief it is that Jesus is most concerned with our hearts. Even when we make mistakes, he can see the motives behind our actions and forgive us for our sinful nature. Not only can he see what is in our hearts, he loves what he sees! I love this poem by Christina Rossetti – what better gift can we give him than our hearts?

Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him

Nor earth sustain;

Heaven and earth shall flee away

When He comes to reign:

In the bleak mid-winter

A stable-place sufficed

The Lord God Almighty

Jesus Christ.

What can I give Him,

Poor as I am?

If I were a shepherd

I would bring a lamb,

If I were a Wise Man

I would do my part –

Yet what I can I give Him,

I’ll give Him my heart.

5 comments:

  1. The ultimate gingerbread house would have soft walls and above all, not just be admired for weeks, but be ready to be eaten the next day! I like your moat and bridge, but it could also have a date nut roll chimney, the house could be filled with jam cake, the trees could be stacks of Mother's fruit cake cookies, with chocolate truffle shrubs. Whew!

    (You think maybe retired guys have too much time to think about the holiday goodies that may be coming??)

    But even more so, I also am thankful that Jesus wants our hearts above all, that he accepts our meager heart gifts, and came to heal broken hearts.

    What a great way for this dad to start a day - love the thoughts you're bringing us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gingerbread house would have stained-glass windows and a candle inside to make the whole house warm and inviting.
    "What can I give Him?...Give Him my heart." Another picutre for me of Romans 12:1-2--I present MYSELF as a living sacrifice and say with Mary, "I am yours. Let it be unto me according to your word."

    ReplyDelete
  3. My gingerbread house would be made out of rolls. And, underneath the rolls there would be more rolls. And, on the outside, I would decorate with rolls. And, it would be hot and ready to eat.

    I've always liked the line: "Earth stood hard as iron, Water like a stone". I guess it's kind of bleak, but it's a cool way to describe bleak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My gingerbread house would have trouble retaining the title "gingerbread" because mine would be made of lasagna.

    I'm glad Jesus sees my true heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm my gingerbread house would have lots of Bennett cookies hanging around. A cabin made out of lemon cheese, Gingerbread men living inside, candy cane doors, mushrooms for bushes, bells for the windows, chocolate stars in the sky...

    ReplyDelete