Tuesday, December 15, 2009

believe.

If you or your family could have a Christmas photograph taken anywhere in the world, where would you want to have the picture taken?

I would want to have it taken on top of the Schilthorn in Switzerland.


Today I have another story for you.

We pressed through the crowd to the edge of a large, open circle. In front of us stood Santa’s sleigh. The reindeer were excited. They pranced and paced, ringing the silver sleigh bells that hung from their harnesses. It was a magical sound, like nothing I’d ever heard. Across the circle, the elves moved apart and Santa Claus appeared. The elves cheered wildly.

He marched over to us and, pointing to me, said, “Let’s have this fellow here.” He jumped into his sleigh. The conductor handed me up. I sat on Santa’s knee and he asked, “Now, what would you like for Christmas?”

I knew that I could have any gift I could imagine. But the thing I wanted most for Christmas was not inside Santa’s giant bag. What I wanted more than anything was one silver bell from Santa’s sleigh. When I asked, Santa smiled. Then he gave me a hug and told an elf to cut a bell from a reindeer’s harness. The elf tossed it up to Santa. He stood, holding the bell high above him, and called out, “The first gift of Christmas!”

A clock struck midnight as the elves roared their approval. Santa handed the bell to me, and I put it in my bathrobe pocket. The conductor helped me down from the sleigh. Santa shouted out the reindeer’s names and cracked his whip. His team charged forward and climbed into the air. Santa circled once above us, then disappeared in the cold, dark polar sky.

As soon as we were back inside the Polar Express, the other children asked to see the bell. I reached into my pocket, but the only thing I felt was a hole. I had lost the silver bell from Santa Claus’s sleigh. “Let’s hurry outside and look for it,” one of the children said. But the train gave a sudden lurch and started moving. We were on our way home.

It broke my heart to lose the bell. When the train reached my house, I sadly left the other children. I stood at my doorway and waved good-bye. The conductor said something from the moving train, but I couldn’t hear him. “What?” I yelled out.

He cupped his hands around his mouth. “MERRY CHRISTMAS,” he shouted. The Polar Express let out a loud blast from its whistle and sped away.

On Christmas morning my little sister Sarah and I opened our presents. When it looked as if everything had been unwrapped, Sarah found one last small box behind the tree. It had my name on it. Inside was the silver bell! There was a note: “Found this on the seat of my sleigh. Fix that hole in your pocket.” Signed, “Mr. C.”

I shook the bell. It made the most beautiful sound my sister and I had ever heard.

But my mother said, “Oh, that’s too bad.”

“Yes,” said my father, “it’s broken.”

When I’d shaken the bell my parents had not heard a sound.

At one time most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed, it fell silent for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I’ve grown old, the bell still rings for me as it does for all who truly believe.

The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg

5 comments:

  1. The Schilthorn would be nice, since I'm about the only person in the family who hasn't been there yet, but I still don’t see how it’s any better than the Smokies. Lothlorian would also be nice. I bet everybody can hear Mr. C's bells there.

    When I think of Christmas pictures, for some reason I think of Granny and Granddaddy’s living room, before Sarah Beth's time, with all the little stockings hung for the cousins and everyone, and the dwarfs out in the front yard. Maybe it's just because Granny would always be sure to get a picture, with everyone lined up properly. Of course, if she asked Granddaddy, he might just walk to the corner of the room and snap a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Schilthorn would be a wonderful spot for a family Christmas picture! But the Smokies, the Rockies, Chamonix, or maybe Salzburg deep in snow sound pretty good too. How's that for narrowing it down?

    Pretty much anywhere we can get together is pretty nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah Beth, I love the journey you are taking us on through favortie, life-changing children's literature. (C.S.Lewis said, "Only the best in anything is good enough for the very young!" and "no book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally worth reading at the age of fifty.")
    The following line speaks so clearly of the truth and beauty that we live for:
    "And all the dreams of children
    Once lost will all be found
    That's all I want
    When Christmas comes to town."
    Praise be to the One who became a Child for us and who stands pure, true, shining, and solid right in the midst of our celebration, unexpectedly revealing His truth and beauty just around any corner. Did you hear that bell? Did you experience "the soul feeling and the hope thrilling" as Micah said?
    I love you. Thank you for doing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how we'd get Snopers up to the Schilthorn, so I'd settle for our living room--if only everyone would smile at once and no one would try to escape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about the Gazebo from the Sound of Music? It would be very festive with Christmas decorations.

    ReplyDelete