Sunday, December 20, 2009

the most monstrous firework.

Regardless of the electric bill, what man-made or natural object would you most like to see strung or outlined with Christmas lights?

I think the Eiffel Tower would be beautiful with Christmas lights.

Today I have another letter from Father Christmas for you.

Cliff House, Top of the World, Near the North Pole

Monday December 20th 1926

My dear boys,

I am more shaky than usual this year. The North Polar Bear’s fault! It was the biggest bang in the world, and the most monstrous firework there ever has been. It turned the North Pole BLACK and shook all the stars out of place, broke the moon into four – and the Man in it fell into my back garden. He ate quite a lot of my Christmas chocolates before he said he felt better and climbed back to mend it and get the stars tidy.

Then I found out that the reindeer had broken loose. They were running all over the country, breaking reins and ropes and tossing presents up in the air. They were all packed up to start, you see – yes it only happened this morning: it was a sleighload of chocolate things, which I always send to England early. I hope yours are not badly damaged.

But isn’t the North Polar Bear silly? And he isn’t a bit sorry! Of course he did it – you remember I had to move last year because of him? The tap for turning on the Rory Bory Aylis fireworks is still in the cellar of my old house. The North Polar Bear knew he must never, never touch it. I only let it off on special days like Christmas. He says he thought it was cut off since we moved.

Anyway, he was nosing round the ruins this morning soon after breakfast (he hides things to eat there) and turned on all the Northern Lights for two years in one go. You have never heard or seen anything like it. I have tried to draw a picture of it; but I am too shaky to do it properly and you can’t paint fizzing light can you?

I think the Polar Bear has spoilt the picture rather – of course he can’t draw with those great fat paws –

Rude! I can – and write without shaking.

By going and putting a bit of his own about me chasing the reindeer and him laughing. He did laugh too. So did I when I saw him trying to draw reindeer, and inking his nice white paws.

Father Christmas had to hurry away and leave me to finish. He is old and gets worried when funny things happen. You would have laughed too! I think it is good of me laughing. It was a lovely firework. The reindeer will run quick to England this year. They are still frightened!

I must go and help pack. I don’t know what Father Christmas would do without me. He always forgets what a lot of packing I do for him.

The Snow Man is addressing our envelopes this year. He is Father Christmas’s gardener – but we don’t get much but snowdrops and frost-ferns to grow here. He always writes in white, just with his finger.

A merry Christmas to you from North Polar Bear

And love from Father Christmas to you all.

Letters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien

Mary Love and I went to The Nutcracker last night, so I want to share a clip from that!

4 comments:

  1. The Crystal Palace from that world exhibition in London would be incredible to see decorated for Christmas.... Too bad it's not there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would want to string lights on the Smoky Mountains. Probably basic white lights along the ridgetops, about like the Times Square ball, every 75 feet. It would make a nice view from Clingman's Dome, or an airplane. The Chimney Tops would probably need some colored lights spiraling around them, and around the whole mountain (but no flashing lights -- it's not Gatlinburg).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to string some colored flashing lights on Snow. Then, maybe she would try to chase them around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas lights...

    How about the Aiguille du Midi in Chamonix? It may actually be lit up, but it was breathtaking even without lights.

    some of us have to mull things over.

    ReplyDelete