Monday, June 15, 2009

skansen.

Alright, it has been a busy week, so I'm trying to catch up.

I met my dad in Stockholm for a couple of days last week after I left Zurich. He had a business meeting, so I went sightseeing while he was working and then tagged along for dinner (and lots of drinks) with all of his associates. Stockholm is known for museums, but my favorite one was probably the Vasa Museum. The Vasa was a ship that was supposed to become the flagship of the Swedish navy in the seventeenth century, but it sank only twenty five minutes into its maiden voyage. After sitting in the bottom of Stockholm's harbor for about three centuries, it was salvaged and made into a fascinating museum. I spent about three hours there, taking a tour, watching a film, and walking through the exhibits.

Our hotel was right next to Skansen, which is an area that is reminiscent of Williamsburg. It contains houses from all over Sweden, including manors, windmills, belfries, and schoolhouses. Dad and I went to walk around at night, so none of the houses were open, but we enjoyed seeing the different styles of houses and the vegetable gardens, and we even got to see a folk dancing performance.

Since it is only a few days until the summer solstice, the days in Stockholm are about eighteen hours from sunrise to sunset right now. It was a strange experience for it to still be light when we went to bed after eleven and then to be woken by the light around three in the morning.

1 comment:

  1. Sinking 25 minutes into a maiden voyage and then going on to interesting and useful service three centuries later--surely a hopeful metaphor! (And I'm so jealous you got to experience the long Swedish summer days--that just sounds so cool.)

    ReplyDelete